Subject: Re: [DGD] Can't put a wiztool outside the /usr/System directory...
From: "Felix A. Croes"
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 22:22:06 +0200

Noah Gibbs wrote:

>[...]
>   Along the same lines, I tried putting a wiztool object in
> /usr/game/obj/wiztool.  I added a small function in the System
> directory to clone it with the wizard's identity, just like the regular
> /usr/System/obj/wiztool object works normally.
>
>   It *almost* works.  You can run a lot of the regular commands like
> "people" and "access global" successfully, because those check the
> owner of the object or the path of the program that's calling them. 
> But since a lot of the file operations check the creator of the object
> instead, you can't do things like grant somebody access (which creates
> a new directory for them) or determine what your own access (which
> involves enumerating a directory's entries).

When working on the kernel library, for a long time I had the idea
in mind that the wiztool should be inheritable by everyone.  It didn't
work out with the kernel library's security system, though.  So the
wiztool should be in /usr/System.  It's still a good idea to let people
write their own extensions for it, but those can't be added through
inheritance.

Regards,
Dworkin