Subject: [DGD] Inherit/include
From: dgd at list.imaginary.com (Erwin Harte)
Date: Fri Feb 8 16:09:00 2002

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 09:26:38PM +0000, Shevek wrote:
> I'm noticing some odd behaviour from this the kernel lib (DGD 1.2p1).
> Basically you can't inherit/include from any directory that doesn't have 
> global read access.
> 
> Personally I'd think that if the compiling user has read access to the 
> directory then surely they should be able to inherit/include from it. 
> Doesn't seem to work like that though.
> 
> Is it like this for reasons I'm just not understanding? Because it puts a 
> real crimp on passing code between non global read directories.

The only access that counts at that point is the access that the file
has, it doesn't matter that you (the coder) have a bit more access
than that, otherwise you could have the following situation:

- You (bar) grant <foo> write-access in your home-directory to work on
  something.
- You, one of the main game-admins, also have full access to /.
- <foo> now writes a bit of code in your home-directory and, using
  that, has full access to /.

Sweet, isn't it?

Use your ~/open/ directory if you want to share some feature/interface
information, I'd suggest creating ~/open/lib/ and ~/open/include/ for
this purpose and for any code you want to share you can put an almost
empty inheriting bit in ~/open/lib/fnurt.c which can be used by
others.

Consider it the 'black box' approach. :-)  If you want to share all of
the code then put all of it in your ~/open/ directory.

Hope that helps,

Erwin.
-- 
Erwin Harte