Subject: [DGD] Inherit/include
From: dgd at list.imaginary.com (Noah Lee Gibbs)
Date: Sat Feb 9 18:10:01 2002

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Felix A. Croes wrote:
> Could it have been the other way?  First you created an explicit System
> user, and then you gave it extra access.  It would be hard to fathom why
> you wanted to use the wiztool in this situation, unless you had a user
> already.

  Any call to compile_object in the wiztool goes through the wiztool
compile_object function, regardless of whether it reflects user
input.  In this case, it does not.

> I do not think it is a good idea to make a System user who can login.

  There isn't a System user who can log in.  Indeed, that is explicitly
forbidden.  However, in the create() function of the wiztool it compiles
the objects it may later wish to clone.  In my case, they are things like
/usr/common/obj/user_state.c.  When I include a call to compile_object on
that object in the creator function, the call to access() that occurs in
/kernel/lib/wiztool.c passes owner (System), path
(/usr/common/obj/user_state.c) and access (WRITE_ACCESS).  Therefore,
System winds up needing write access to that file to compile it in its
create function.

-- 
See my page of DGD documentation at
"http://www.angelbob.com/projects/DGD_Page.html"
If you post to the DGD list, you may see yourself there!