Subject: [DGD] Melville under the Kernel Lib
From: dgd at list.imaginary.com (Michael McKiel)
Date: Thu Feb 5 22:37:01 2004

In the past archives, Steven has stated if he were to "do it again" he'd
prolly choose to go on top of the kernel. Yet in quite a few posting's also
has stated a 'distaste'(?) for the directory depth's of such. 

Yet there doesn't seem to be any way to accomodate (what we've been calling)
the Klib without "breaking" its directory requirements, and making it innured
to any future patches from the experimental line of DGD.

So a question for Mr.moby and others that are either building ontop of the
Kernel and/or "breaking" the kernel. How doable would changing that spec
around be to something like:
/lib/kernel/
/obj/kernel/
/sys/kernel/

and if we look at Noah's additional usr's like "common"
/lib/common/ etc...
and perhaps putting "/usr/System/" into non-subdirectoried
/lib/, /obj/, /sys/

For the purposes of "file Security/inheritance/clone/update/et al" I think
that would work. What I'm not sure about atm, would be the feasibility of
"resource management" which for coders themselves in a /home/&lt;username&gt;,
would be easy enough to follow the current Klib design. But not sure about
resource management of non Coder/wizard's under this route.

Would it be worth the restructuring? Or should one just bite the bullet and
work under the Nazi Klib file regime ;)

The few posts of Skoto's that referred a filepath would seem to indicate a
non-KernelLib obeying structure.  So what have others done in this regard?
And how might you structure Steven? 
I didn't much care for the Klib design, but least I understand it more now,
but the other admin is fairly adamantly against it, which is leaving us at a
bit of an impass I'm not sure how to resolve without possibly too much
unneccessary work at 'breaking' the klib to bring in features we'd just like
the "Melville-like" directory structure to support.
Thanks, 
Zamadhi